You might be surprised, but yes you can actually freeze eggs. Eggs actually taste close to the same once thawed too. Eggs will typically last approximately five weeks in the refrigerator. However if you freeze eggs they will last one year in the freezer. You should only freeze clean and fresh eggs.
Can you freeze eggs?
If you are stocking up on a few extras, find a great sale, don’t want to waste eggs that are close to expiring, or accidentally purchase to many these are some great options. There are a few different techniques to freezing eggs. Also there are some great recipes out there that you can make and freeze – also using eggs!
How do you freeze fresh whole eggs?
You can freeze whole eggs, but you can’t freeze eggs in their shells – that would just be to easy and end up in a potential mess.
The easiest way to freeze whole eggs is to use a muffin tin or ice cube tray.
- Crack individual eggs into each muffin tin or ice cube tray.
- Once frozen simply pop each egg out and store in a ziplock baggie or airtight container.
For another technique to freeze whole eggs you need a medium sized mixing bowl, a beater, and eggs.
- Crack the eggs into the mixing bowl.
- Beat the eggs together slowly until they are combined. Do not over beat and be sure to not add to much air.
- Add the eggs into an ice cube tray. This allows for servings of half an egg.
- Freeze the eggs until frozen in the ice cube tray.
- Once eggs are frozen pop out and store in the freezer in a ziplock baggie.
How to freeze egg yolks only?
This is probably the trickiest technique due to the fact that egg yolks can become gelatinous if they aren’t stored right.
- Separate the egg yolks into a bowl.
- Then beat 1/8 of teaspoon salt OR 1 1/2 teaspoon sugar // corn syrup per 1/4 cup of yolks.
- Freeze the yolks in an airtight container.
How to freeze egg whites?
- Separate the egg whites.
- Add to an airtight container to freeze together, or add to ice cube trays to freeze individually.
Can I freeze hard boiled eggs?
You can freeze hard boiled egg yolks to use later for garnishes or toppings. Hard boiled eggs do not freeze the best as a whole because the whites of the egg become watery and tough.
How to thaw frozen eggs?
To thaw frozen eggs place them in the refrigerator overnight or run them under cold water. Use eggs as soon as they are thawed and only use them in dishes that are cooked thoroughly.
Recipes to make ahead and freeze using eggs:
Need more breakfast inspiration:
Pin this post: